Friday 25 November 2011

Meego Linux - A Beautiful Failure

I have an Dell Notebook (Dell Mini 10V) which was the perfect device for a particular problem we had, that need has now passed and I have a device which isn't powerful enough to replace a laptop but still seems too good to not use.

It was dual booting Windows 7 (Starter edition) and Ubuntu 10 (Notebook remix) without a huge amount of success. I felt that Windows 7 was too slow on the device and Ubuntu was rather poor compared to how well it works on the desktop.

It was time to find a new distro.

I initially tried XUbuntu (alternate) but the installer was very iffy and I didn't try to download the normal Xubuntu iso. I then moved to Meego which upon initial installation was absolutely amazing, it was quick to install, looked great and was responsive with a really nice user interface. I thought I'd found the holy grail of lightweight Linux distributions as it really seemed to understand what people use a netbook for and everything was so well integrated, you could really see where the developers had learnt from mobile device development. Unfortunately Meego has a massive failing and that is the fact that it's completely single user, something which may make sense in a mobile device but takes real computers back to the mid 90s.

A computer which integrates your social media accounts and email so tightly with the user interface can only make sense as a single user platform in something like a mobile phone, netbooks and laptops are commonly used by multiple people and multi user support is a very basic requirement.

I've now switched to Easy Peasy Linux which while based on Ubuntu is a lot snappier and has (I think) a much better user interface.